2.05.2009

Pried.

Pride is defined as:

"A high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, important, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct..."

This is the best dfeinition of any single word in the dictionary. The reason it is my favorite word is because of how it's worded. "One's own dignity" and "cherished in the mind or displayed." This is to say, that which you are proud about holds much importance to you and only you. And only you can choose to display or keep it in your heart.

I feel it is important to have something that no one can take from you or depreciate the value of. You can always fall back on what you're proud of. It doesn't need to be major. Feel me? Pride yourself in being good at calculus, pride yourself in having a good sense of fashion, pride yourself in having a solid jumpshot. See, no one can take away your determination to maintaining your sense of pride.

I am proud of my poetry and writing talents. Expressoin of self is important to myself and I choose to display this. Something else that I am proud of is that I have never been tempted by drugs or alcohol. I've never felt the need to get high or get drunk. This is something that I do not display; I keep it to myself and simply say "No thanks, sloppy sucka" when offered a hit or a drink.

People do acknowledge your pride. They will either double team you because of your sickass jumpshot, ask for help on math homework, or try to jock your sense of fashion/style. This is a form of respect. I am respected for avoiding drugs but whats most important is that I respect myself. Word to Brooklyn.

"Pride is a personal commitment. It is an attitude which seperates excellence from mediocrity."

No comments: